Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sabbath and worship team: TAKE TWO

So I'm starting over on this quest for Sabbath. Today is Saturday and it's my day to just dominate my homework and projects for Monday. I'm going to go get after it so that I can Sabbath with Katy and Melissa tomorrow.

We had to come up with goals for the semester for my Parish Education class and something very cool has emerged from that. We are taking on each other's goals. Mine was to Sabbath and because we often do homework and hang out together, everyone is adopting a bit of that mindset and scheduling. Andy wants to go to some sort of alternative worship service twice a month and that's going to get a few of us to go experience different things with him as well. I know that sleep will definitely be a goal that I work on throughout the semester and that's going to encourage all of us to get to bed at a more reasonable hour.

Just taking some time out of a day for rest and freedom from the tyranny of the day makes all the difference in the world for how I feel and what my attitude is. I am also convinced that I'm a little under the weather because I didn't not have a day of rest last week. Choir took over any sort of rest that I would've taken last weekend.

Also, something else that I wanted to talk about briefly is the worship team that I lead. Last year was kind of all over the board because different people had to leave the team for good reasons and we were struggling to figure out how we would get through spring semester. Many prayers and emails later, we ended up with a guitar player who happens to be a good friend of mine and someone who said "well..if you can't find anyone else.." Then there's our male vocalist who randomly emailed me one day and said he wanted to join and hoped it wasn't too late. Then our drummer who is a fill in turned permanent. God put our team together. He did that to show me that I'm not in control of this worship team. It's not "my team." I often refer to it as such, but I am reminded that this is for HIS glory and not mine. This is HIS ministry and not mine. These are HIS gifts and certainly not mine. After all of this, God showed me that not only would He provide us with a team, but it would be a better fit than any of us could've imagined. I couldn't believe how well Fish went on Wednesday night. We had fun, we worshiped while we led, and the feedback was positive. I am humbled by the fact that I was so unsure about this new arrangement, but God is so much bigger than my worries. He's challenging us to think big in this ministry right now. I'm excited.

No comments: