Thursday, August 28, 2008

Breaking the "Blahs"

Well, I'm really liking the things of internship. My job is great, the church is great, people are great as well.

I think, however, it's taking me a bit to get used to being away from college and all that it entails. There are two main things that I'm really missing right now.

The first is my friends. There's not really people my age around here and I don't really have friends nearby. There are some great families that I love spending time with and some people I'm really enjoying getting to know, but none of them are really my age. It's an interesting transition after being so social in the college world.

The second is spontaneity. I have a pretty normative routine here. I like routines because they're easy to remember, I know what I have to do and get done, and I can have a plan and be prepared. However, I miss spontaneous trips to the river or the falls, late nights at Perkins, impromptu conversations in the CMC, and the "it's whatever" attitude of my college life. Here, everything seems so structured and I don't have anyone to be random with. :S It's something that I'm going to have to figure out how to circumvent.

I found a verse today though that gave me encouragement for living in the here and now. Sometimes it's going to be difficult on this internship journey, but I want to be sure that I'm living life to the full and being present in this time and place. The verse that's speaking to me right now was actually apart of a song that we were practicing at praise team tonight.

Psalm 118:24
"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

I pray that no matter what may be going on and no matter how "blah" I feel--I will be reminded of this verse and the blessing that today is. It's not something to be wasted, but lived. What ever it means in your life, I hope you're living and not just being alive. Be glad in the day that God has given us! :)

1 comment:

Tim said...

Living in the moment is so ridiculously difficult. It'll be a good challenge though, and it's good for everyone.