Thursday, January 15, 2009

you will never be the "est"

(this is an article I wrote for an upcoming church newsletter)

Have you ever wanted to be an “est”? All of the time I hear my high school students and my college friends talk about who is the smartest, funniest, prettiest, nicest, richest or the best at any number of things. We are a culture that is obsessed with competition and being the best at something no matter how great or small. We long to be an “est,” while secretly hoping that it will be the key to greatness and wholeness. One of my professors refers to this as "the temptation to be spectacular." I would venture to say that I am more guilty of the “est” infatuation than most. I find it especially heartwrenching when I am not the “est” of whatever it is that I think I am good at. The truth is that there will always be someone better, stronger, prettier, more talented, and more put together than you or me. Our quest for “est” is declared superfluous. We are destined for mediocrity and potentially a spot below the average line.


One of my all time favorite Bible passages speaks to this desire for “est” and our failure to achieve it. 2 Corinthians 12:9 says “Your grace is sufficient for me.” In the following verse, Paul writes “when I am weak, then I am strong.” You see, when we realize how powerless we are and pride is removed from the equation, Christ’s strength fills in the gaps. Ephesians 3:20 says, “now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” He works through the people that do not make the cut. We would never make it on our own. Jesus came for that very reason—to give us His best. We are freed from the quest for "est" because we will never be enough on our own. Thanks be to our God whose love and grace for us is the greatest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Shelly! This is so good and true and definitely something we all struggle with. Nice article/blog post :)