Friday, January 18, 2008

LOVE is the movement

So not necessarily to add a new year's resolution to my life, but more of creating a new year's revolution...I've been getting into a bunch of new ideas. This whole idea of loving people has just plain overwhelmed me in 2008. Reading Blue Like Jazz got me thinking about how I love people on a daily basis and if what my heart is saying is actually being lived out with how I interact with people. So recently I've got into this organization called "To Write Love on Her Arms." It is an organization that is committed to helping people who struggle with addictions, alcohol and drug abuse, depression, self injury, and suicidal behaviors. The organization sells t-shirts to help support people to go to rehab. They also actively reach out and love people that are awaiting detox and rehab services and help people to realize that they need to seek help. It's an amazing organization that loves people right where they are with all the "stuff" that they have to bring along with them. The name of the organization comes from the first person that they helped get into rehab. She was struggling with many things, one being self mutilation. She carved "f--- up" in her arm. That's all she thought she was. The people around her, however, wanted to change that. They wanted to write "love" on her arms.



I recently supported the organization by buying a t-shirt that has pretty much also been my new creedo. I love it and it reminds me of the new revolution that I am apart of. God has overwhelmed me so many times with His love. It shouldn't be difficult to reach out and simply love people. Simply love. :) That's what Jesus did. Love is the movement. And the movement began with Him.

No comments: