Saturday, September 13, 2008

He Makes Dread into Delight (and why am I so surprised?!?)

God surprises us. Well..I guess I should speak for myself. He surprises me.

But why am I constantly surprised at His faithfulness?!? It's nuts--but He's helping me learn to trust.

The past week has been all over the map. Needless to say, I'm glad it's over. I usually have Fridays and Saturdays off, but this week we planned a lock-in for Friday night and a service work day for the youth for Saturday. Well, in light of my heavy week, I wasn't exactly pumped about my lack of free time for the weekend. Thursday night, I ended my work week with a heavy heart and some stress from my lack of control in some aspects of my job. I asked a friend to have lunch, so we made plans for Friday.

She was all concerned that I was overworked and had too much stress already. She gave me some encouragement about only doing what I can do and not letting the rest get to me. I don't know why, but it seems that I'm either completely carefree or I'm feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. She helped remind me that I'm not really in control even when I think I am and God is going to do with things what He will. I hardly had slept the night before. I was thinking about things that hadn't been planned, faulty communications, uncertainties, and potential failures. I woke on Friday exhausted and saying.."God, I can't do this on my own. Just take it." God used my friend to affirm this message and humble me once again. I had a fun afternoon with her and we spent time just living life and not sitting around stressing about details. I felt so much better at the end of the afternoon that I spent with my friend.

I went home thinking that this lock-in and service day could be alright. And it was more than alright. I had fun, I got to see the hearts of these incredible youth that just purely want to serve, and I got to get to know these same youth a bit better. They're just lovely and I'm so proud of them. They're stepping outside of their comfort zones to get to know people of a completely different generation who probably don't think too highly of those "crazy teens" upon first glance. They work hard and want to help. They're changing people and making a difference. :) I also get to tag along and meet some great people as well. I'm building some fun relationships with some older generations of the congregation, which is very important here. God also came through and put my mind to rest about stresses and worries that have been weighing me down.

God totally used this weekend to revive my passion to change the world. It might be moving sand, it very well could be moving to Africa, it most likely will include some sort of music element, and it's always going to involve just listening to people and loving them. Yah.

Thanks for this weekend, God. I pray that you continue to "break my heart for what breaks Yours" and help me to trust what you say in Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

He used a long week to show me that there's still people who need to be loved, there's things beyond my control, and He's still working on me and filling me with huge passion for something that will make a difference. In the end, I just want to be used--that's all. I hope and pray that God continues to fill me with that desire.

In the meantime, the things I'm learning:
-I'm never too important to help someone else.
(Galatians 6:3
(NLT): If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.)
-Never underestimate the power of community, friendship, and encouragement. Trying to handle life on my own is silly and down right unhealthy. I'm not invincible (even though I sometimes like to pretend I am. ;) )
-Worrying doesn't change a situation.
(Matthew 6:34: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.)
-God is showing me the plans He has for me more and more every day.
-(and an ongoing theme) God is faithful to His promises. Always.

Live. Love. Let Him Love you. :D

No comments: